Sunday, March 22, 2009

sad to end

when we first began this ICT course, I was overwhelmed with the workload.. tiny updates on Pbwiki, weekly blogging, etc. but we gradually got used to it, and upon looking back, I'm actually thankful for all of that cos it helped me learn alot! there's truth in the saying that one must do before one can learn, I guess? :)

it's been a great term with ICT! the games we played, the various collaboration softwares we were exposed to, the critical thinking we were pushed to explore, etc. the most useful tool will probably be Pbwiki -- I'm using it for soooo many of my other projects! strangely, other trainees (not in our ICT class) are not the least bit familiar with Pbwiki at all. hmmmm.

Dr Ashley has been actively engaging us in the course by involving us in the lessons through the use of games, Mindmeister, Pbwiki, etc. exposure to these and Second Life, as an educational tool has allowed us to explore and 'experience' what our students will be involved in in future. such experential learning on our part allows us to better know the benefits and limitations of each tool. at the end of every lesson, reflection takes place is various forms... blogs, concept maps, critiquing others' Pbwiki. all these pushes us to engage in critical thinking! I guess if all these weren't instructed, I wouldn't think critically by myself. it seems to me like it's a 'skill' that must be slowly built up?

amazing, eye-catching presentations such as that done by Prezi.com were used to grasp our attention during a lecture-style lesson last friday. that's something I found really refreshing; away from microsoft ppt. which we're all so bored with. I feel such innovations will be important to grab students' attention in future, and once we've gotten them "on the hook", it'll be easier to facilitate their learning and promote reflective ideas.

the strategy that I'd use for my students will probably to actively engage them in doing reflections. by assessing what they've personally obtained from the lesson, it can always lead to further queries and expansion of ideas.... which is good, cos if they actually went one step further to research for answers, such independent learning will enable them to retain information which they found were meaningful. we should try to move away from the usual "spoon-feeding" cirriculum in schools as I find that one will learn more effectively by self-exploration. I will also introduce online collaboration tools such as google docs and Cmap as I believe in teaching them "soft" skills like social interaction skills, and what better way than to get them to cooperate together? peer-teaching as a result, will also be beneficial.

we're nearing the end of the course and I really would like to thank Dr Ashley for all his efforts in coming up with such creative and engaging lessons each time! :) the exposure to the various tools has really been useful, and this course has been a fantastic training ground for us to be IT-savvy teachers. now I'm more confident of entering into the school and suggesting ways on how to "use ICT for engaged learning"! :)



Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]