Sunday, February 22, 2009

Gaming (II)

This week, my group chose to research on the "Self knowledge Principle". Basically, it means that through gaming, one is able to learn about their strengths and abilities hence is able to discern their potential. To read up on it was really interesting; I feel many a times, we just play games for the 'fun' of it, which is just a superficial value. But knowing about the various principles, I was able to see the relevance of it all and how everything pieced nicely together. For example, for Self-knowledge Principle...

Trauma Centre is a good game to create self-awareness of stability of hand movements and how sympathetic one feels for the patient. These 2 characteristics may be useful for career decisions based on knowing one's strengths, and also creates awareness for further development of one's potential.

While playing Wii-sports, the balancing game required some form of estimation of weight shifting and I feel this skill will be useful in life; to be aware of one's surroundings and adjust accordingly.

The article on 'what types of games are appropriate for classrooms' opened my eyes to the vast genre of games available in the market nowadays. Indeed, it will be essential to evaluate what we'll be giving our students to play in future. Games under the genre of 'real time strategy' are useful to promote critical thinking while in my opinion, fighting games serve very little value in classroom context. I feel it's always good to collaborate with other teachers in assessing the type of game to be introduced, especially as a department. However, my concern is: will we actually have sufficient time to let students play and learn at the same time? Recalling my life as a student, I can only remember teachers rushing through the syllabus to complete it on time.. even though theirs was the traditional chalk-and-talk method! So if we, as the "new generation" of teachers were to introduce gaming.. will it be possible? I guess this is also in conjunction with the "Teach less, Learn more" movement, but I feel more flexibility should be incorporated first to make it successful.

Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]